Sugamele 2024 Commission - Project Site
Last updated February 17, 2024.
Kyle! As before, this unlisted page will serve as our project site for the duration of the commission. Here you will always be able to check on the status of the project and review the latest photos and videos. New entries will always be at the top of the page.
Original SOW Page, Pricing and Timeline
PROJECT MILESTONES AND ACTIVITY SUMMARY
02-17-24 Frame and Lens Color Exploration
02-03-24 Modified Sizing of Gucci glasses
01-28-24 Updated glasses/arrangement
01-27-24 Feedback received
01-13-24 High resolution digital sunglasses template created
01-04-24 Project Deposit Received
12-27-23 Discovery Meeting via Zoom
DETAILED PROJECT UPDATES
02-17-24 Frame and Lens Color Exploration
Happy to share this initial frame and lens color exploration. Welcome your feedback and we can continue to iterate.
02-03-24 Updated sizing of Gucci glasses
01-28-24 Updated Glasses/Arrangement
Created high resolution illustration of Persol 714 (COOL GLASSES!) and made the other adjustments as well. New composite below for reference and review. Welcome your feedback.
01-27-24 Feedback Received
- Swap out the Browline Classic with the Persol 714 (see picture in the reference doc)
- Re-order the locations of the glasses as reflected in the attached doc.
- Make the Cat Eye glasses a bit larger proportionally, as the height of the glasses seem a bit too small in relation to the other glasses.
- Make the Aviator glasses a bit smaller proportionally, as the size of the glasses seem a bit too big in relation to the other glasses.
- Make the Gucci glasses a bit larger proportionally, as the size of the glasses seem a bit too small in relation to the other glasses (they are intentionally oversized sunglasses).
01-13-24 High resolution digital sunglasses template and arrangement created
Kyle, in this first important part of the project, I've independently created high resolution silhouettes of the six sunglasses to be featured in the piece and then created this high resolution to-scale representation of the layout. The associated source digital file is 32 in. x 30 in. at 300 PPI (point per inch). This will give us a fair amount of latitude in testing various color combinations. I can confirm that the aspect ratio and panel sizing of 32 in. x 30 in. appears to be perfect. So, with your review and approval I will have my carpenter create the custom panel. While I had floated the idea of doing a deeper panel this time (~ 3 in. or so), I recommend we go with a 2 in. deep panel. For this review, let me know your thoughts on the general layout and size of each pair of glasses and we can adjust as needed. Next steps will be exploring different color combinations for the respective glasses and frames. Thank you!
PROJECT INPUT/DISCOVERY DETAILS
- Six pairs of sunglasses, each one scaled at 75% size of “Rose Colored Glasses” picture (approximately 12.225”w x 5.025”h)
- Each pair of sunglasses will have unique coloring on the frame and uniquely tinted on the glass (e.g., rose, amber/honey, green, midnight blue, silver/mirrored, smokey gray, etc.)
- Picture would be approximately 32”w x 30”h (JK: aspect ratio and overall dimensions to be confirmed but will maintain 32" width)
- Current thinking is a very light shade of blue in the same colorway as Cerulean Blue, but much lighter to allow the sunglasses to stand out better (JK: A very light Cerulean Blue will be ideal for this project)
Note: For all the following sunglass, the silhouette will be maintained but there will not be a representation of the back/ends of the frames behind the lenses as shown in some of these reference photos.
Top left: Same as in “Rose Colored Glasses” (generally the Wayfarer style), including coloring on frame and tint of glass
Middle left: The classic Aviator style by Ray-Ban, with coloring on frame TBD and tint of glass TBD (JK: We discussed the idea of having thicker rim elements to allow for more interesting design and fill)
Bottom left: Round in the Illestreva Frieda style, with coloring on frame TBD and tint of glass TBD (JK: Will maintain the tortoise approach but with colors that do not compete with those of the Rose Colored Glasses)
Top right: 1940s vintage Cat Eye style, with coloring on frame TBD and tint of glass TBD
Middle right: The Browline Classic style by Ray-Ban, with coloring on frame TBD and tint of glass TBD
Bottom right: Butterfly in the Gucci GG0083S style, with coloring on frames as shown below and tint of glass TBD (JK: We discussed maintaining this tri-color approach, but can play with the colors as well).